POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ruined Place - WIP 3 : Re: Ruined Place - WIP 3 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ruined Place - WIP 3
From: Jim Charter
Date: 14 Feb 2008 23:25:49
Message: <47b5144d$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> I worked hard on the textures, tweaking Jim Charter's StainedStones macro
> until it fitted better to the column segments, and hammering out a
> believable lichen growth (or so I hope). I took the lichen colors from a
> photograph and tried to reproduce their shape with a crackle solid pattern.
>
> On the floor tiles this is just not yet good enough I am afraid. I am
> certainly going to randomize the amount of lichen growth on individual
> stones in the first place, but I wonder if the growth should not be
> restricted more to shadowy areas. This is more difficult to obtain. Maybe
> with a X or Z gradient for the columns? But for the tiles, I don't know.
>
> Also, I think the diffuse parameter (now at 0.8) should be lowered as the
> lichen seems too bright overall.

Looking better and better.  I think it mostly needs more variation
between stones and areas.

Not sure what you mean by 'crackle solid' pattern.  Are you using a none
standard form?  What this

actually reminds me of is the 'cells' pattern which might be something
worth trying too.

Now you've gotten me googling antique ruins.  They really are powerful
images.